I just want to share this phone that I purchased from Cherry last sunday.
Cherry Mobile U5 Smartphone Dialer
-1.55 inches TFT LCD
-Smartphone SMS viewer/dialer
-Remote Camera Capture
-Dust/ Waterproof (IP67 Rating)
-microsd slot up to 32gb (confirmed)
- it displays contacts synced from your smartphone (with bluetooth logo/icon on the left), phone storage (phone logo), and sim contacts (sim icon) alphabetically
- its own messaging inbox is separated from the smartphone viewer. (press asterisk to switch view)
- it packs an image viewer, audio and video player, sound recorder, FM radio and a handy file manager. havent tested those except the music player via the loudspeaker. (sound quality is on the average side. loudness is great. i can hear even incoming call alerts even on loud environments, still ymmv)
- it has an internet browser. not yet tested since i dont use small mobile for browsing.
- usual menu for setting call, phone, network, security, and connectivity.
- it works with the BTNotification app from cherry mobile. confirmed working on omega xl, 530qx, samsung galaxy s line up (S1 to S5)
- same as nokia "profile" used for changing sound and notification set up
- it displays month view
- built in Sokoban game
- for eWarranty and Fun zone menu
some of my observations with the phone/ dialer
*fast and very responsive ui/ menu navigation
*menu background colors change when navigating the menu. One color for every menu displayed, large icon and labels are shown. No grid view
*its very light as if i was holding only a toy phone
*design is an acquired taste. looks good if you are a fan of the Transformers.
*water proofing is good. i splashed it several times already
*led notification light (orange pattern on the sides of the screen) is really cool. downside? maybe this one, it leaks some light on the screen. not an issue at all but it annoys me
*battery life is average. stands for a day of heavy usage.
*charging time took me 1.5hours using a 1ah charger.
* having transparent plastic keys is a good idea (no more faded keys like samsung and nokia) but sometimes pressing the keys bring unwanted noise like screeching sounds.
* charging port is too much recessed so you are left to rely on the supplied usb cable charger of the package.
* battery is built in
* durability? ill inform you when and how it is damaged. when the time comes. =)
-- edited by maestrongjake on Nov 04 2014, 02:39 AM
-- edited by maestrongjake on Nov 04 2014, 03:00 AM
Box and printed specs
-- edited by maestrongjake on Nov 04 2014, 02:43 AM
Side by side comparison of the supplied micro usb charger on a regular one (samsung charger)
nice review sir!
how many lines of text on such a small screen sir?
seriously considering buying one due to its IP67 rating and cheap price.
only CMs infamous after-sales is holding me back.
first line: sender
2nd line: time and date
message body has 5 lines for displaying text
Sir, where can i buy this CM U5? any recommended store?
Sa Cherry Mobile stores mismo...
How many sms po ang kaya istore nito? Same ba sa p2i na 200 sms? May way din po ba na ilagay sa sd card yun sms? Tia.
-- edited by logbi77 on Jan 22 2015, 08:52 PM
Great find. I might get one of these for use during vacations. I'm sold on the ruggedness.
havent tested the sms capacity. i rarely use this for texting. mas useful siya para sakin while driving since i can hang this this on my rear view mirror and put it in loudspeaker mode whenever i do long drives.
my 2 year old kid threw it up to 5ft. dropped on a concrete ground and waterproofing is still good. hardshell is tough since it only gave me small noticeable dents after that incident. we splashed it on some rides on splash island and still no signs of water damage.
updated the title to accomodate other topics on different u devices from cherry mobile
i just got a cm U6. and planning to get a U7 for my wife.
Ill post some quick review and post the pictures later (refer to google for the meantime)
-slightly heavy compared to u5 and u7 due to its powerbank battery function (2600mah capacity only compared to my112 which packs 6000mah)
-pressing the keys are very crisp. you can really feel its ruggedness.
--led flashlight: first long press on the dedicated torch button turns on the light; second press bumps the torch even brighter (note: really really bright); third press makes the light a flasher, morse code signals i think (slow flash); fourth press makes it faster
-32gb micro sd works flawlessly
-theres no usb port cover on the charging port. but still it is waterproof. (made a couple of swims already.)
-usb port for powerbank function is sealed with a rubber flap, you have to turn the function on inside the phones menu.
-menu icon is group into four per page. (pressing left and right navi keys moves the selection/ highlight on each icons. up and down makes a short cut to the above/below icon instead if pressing left/right twice.) quite annoying but tolerable. colorful icon makes up for it
-long battery life but not that long compared to my117 and dtc gear. (6000mah and 4500mah vs 2600mah of the u6)
-built is really tough if you will compare it to my117 and dtc gear. (my117 has this very loose rubber on all the units ive checked here in bulacan, dtc gear is prone to rubber peeling in the long run as ive observed in my co-teachers unit.)
-camera takes below average photos. (vs 1.3 megapixel of my old nokia 6230i)
-- edited by maestrongjake on Nov 08 2015, 04:03 AM
Yung CM U6 and U7 is bluetooth dialer din?
hmm.. dami ko naikot na cherry mobile stores sa metro manila. lahat walang CM U6 or kahit anong U series na phone. may balita ba kung magkakaroon nang stocks nito. balita eh phased out na daw???
guys ung CM U6 may FM radio? Wireless FM sya? yung hindi kailangan ng headset para sa radio
Where could i buy Cherry U5?? Is it still available??
Anyone here has this??
Hi guys! heard about CM's newest flare smarthphone? I've had it for 3 months now and super solid yung specs. Check out my review!
<click here for link>