User Login

TipidCP.com is the premier forum and trading portal of the Filipino mobile phone enthusiasts. Got something to say, sell, or buy? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) or '5G' now in the PH! (Smart)

• August 14, 2014 3:30pm
    http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/374814/scitech/technology/smart-launches-lte-advanced-5g-data-in-phl

Two years after the introduction of Long-Term Evolution (LTE) or 4G technology in its operations, Smart Communications has taken a step further and has begun the use of LTE-Advanced "5G" in its wireless services.

LTE-A is capable of data speeds from between 100 megabits per second (mbps) to 1 gigabit per second (Gbps), or ten times faster than 3G services and more than twice as fast as 4G services.

This means that downloading a 10 MB file with take less than a second to download, buffering for Youtube videos will not be necessary, and video calls will be smoother, Smart assured.

"Even as our 3G and 4G networks continue to be unrivaled, Smart becomes the first operator to leap into the future and put the Philippines at par with the world's most advanced countries in terms of mobile communications technology," said Orlando Vea, founder and Chief Wireless Adviser of Smart, in a press release.

Smart joined leading mobile operators in South Korea, United States, Singapore, Australia, and Hong Kong with an LTE-A network, which it started testing in the country since August last year.

Korea's SK Telecom claims to have launched the world's first publicly available LTE-A network in June, 2013, initially offering plans bundled with the LTE-A-capable variant of Samsung's popular Galaxy S4 smartphone. � Marisse Panaligan/TJD, GMA News

--
    exciting!
  • improve 3g signal first.
  • ^tama, 3g samin wala pa din.
  • Cap?
  • gimick. another marketing stunt to milk its subscriber with an over expensive service for very less the price.
  • meh..

IMHO, LTE-A is a TRUE 4G standard not 5G, while LTE is a PRE-4G standard
  • So Smart will release LTE-A phones in the future??
  • Marketing meh. 5G is LTE with air and water.. LOL
  • Since ang MAX ng LTE ay up to 42mbps kapag lumagpas na 43mbps to 100mbps considered na LTE -A na yun.

2G GPRS 1st
    2G EDGE 2nd
    3G 3rd
    HDSPA 3.5
    HSPA+ 3.75
    LTE 4G
    LTE-A 5G

So why would it be a Marketing meh?
    This is a good news that ISP here in PH will implement LTE-A 5G but why keep on bashing it?
  • BTW, Smart LTE-A speed test results:
    External Image
  • @yeo
    you from smart?

what plan is it available?
    when and/or will it be available nationwide?

will there be still cap daily or monthly?
  • kalokohan lagi nga congested sa cavite e...
  • I agree with the clamor to improve the 3G connection first.

Here in Makati, around Pililia and JP Rizal areas, I get full bars 3G signal but I cannot even browse a single page.
  • So why would it be a Marketing meh?
    This is a good news that ISP here in PH will implement LTE-A 5G but why keep on bashing it?

Why a marketing meh? Look at their backbone and upstream connections.. and they don't even open local peerings ^_^
  • @yeochinh,

I bet that is a test you conducted wherein you are connected to one of smart's core routers directly facing one of your upstream providers. Still, look at your upload though.
  • I agree with the clamor to improve the 3G connection first.

Here in Makati, around Pililia and JP Rizal areas, I get full bars 3G signal but I cannot even browse a single page.

Perhaps the signal (wireless side) is ok, but from the base station (cell site) to the core is heavily congested due to either 1) over-populated zone or 2) very small capacity allocation. Worse when the two collide.
  • Talagang marketing hype lang yan. LTE-A is still a 4G standard. So why are they branding it as 5G?
  • kalokohan! dito na lang sa bacoor cavite every 4minutes DC lintek na yan! tatawagan mo smart babanat sayo wala sila magagawa sira system nila! dot! maige maningil sablay naman serbisyo!

-- edited by casteruy19 on Aug 15 2014, 01:53 PM
  • Lol. Funny ng 5G. Sa Korea nga wala pang 5G, dito pa kaya sa bulok na provider at bansa?
    CAT6 LTE-A lang yan!

Bring this topic to the unified smart users/subscribers thread

Browse Items

Search TipidCP

New Items for Sale

New Want to Buys

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys